You could do this in the slow cooker, but I decided to make it for dinner at 6pm so I made it on the stove top. You also could use vegetable broth and cream of mushroom soup to make this vegetarian. And finally, you could use low fat / low sodium everything EXCEPT the cream cheese. Don't do that, it won't melt.
Recipe was inspired by Pearls, Handcuffs and Happy Hour (I seem to be using a lot of her recipes for inspiration recently).
- Bag of frozen shredded hash browns (between 24-30oz)
- 2 cans chicken broth (28-32 oz total)
- 1 can cream of chicken soup (approx 14oz)
- 1/4 large onion, finely diced
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (more or less to taste)
- 1 block of cream cheese (approx 8oz)
- Optional toppings: sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped green onions, chopped bacon
- Add hash browns, broth and soup to a large stock pot; cook on medium heat until all the hash browns are loose
- Add onions and pepper; reduce to medium-low heat and cook for 30 minutes, stirring regularly (hash browns will start to dissolve and get very mushy)
- Add cream cheese and cook for another 30 minutes, stirring regularly, or until cream cheese is completely melted and hash browns are very mushy - almost dissolved