Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Recipe: SPICY Chicken Pasta

Ben & I both followed our first bite with a "woah!" but that didn't stop me from chowing down until my eyes were watering, chugging a bottle of water, then going to town again. I have a sensitive palette, so I'm not a huge fan of spicy, but certain flavors are just so good that I can deal with it (wasabi being my absolute favorite). In this particular recipe, it's roasted red pepper flakes that really "kick it up a notch" (I've never actually watched Emeril, but I hear that's something he likes to say). I cut the original recipe in half and it still had a good kick. Also, it's TONS of food. I recommend halving it and freezing - because I'm trying to do that now.

Giving credit where credit is due: Discovered here and inspired by this.

Ingredients

  • 1/8 cup oil
  • 1.5 tsp crushed red pepper (original recipe called for 1/2 tbsp if you REALLY love spicy)
  • 1/8 tsp each salt & pepper
  • 3 minced garlic cloves
  • 1 lg chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
  • 1 1/4 cup vodka sauce (or you can mix 3/4 cup marinara & 1/2 cup alfredo)
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1/2 cup peas
  • 1 lb rigatoni or ziti pasta
  • 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes for garnish (optional)


Directions

1. Cook pasta according to directions on box.
2. Meanwhile, in a large saute pan, heat oil over medium heat.
3. Add crushed red pepper, salt, black pepper & garlic. Saute long enough for garlice to brown.
4. Add chicken and saute briefly to coat chicken in spices and garlic, until chicken is no longer pink.
5. Add vodka sauce (or marinara / alfredo) and bring to a simmer. Cook until sauce has thickened slightly and chicken is cooked through.

6. Turn off heat. Add peas & butter. Stir until butter is melted completely.
7. Drain pasta, add into pan with sauce, chicken & vegetables. Toss to coat.
8. Garnish with red pepper (optional) and a tiny bit of parmesan cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment