Thursday, August 11, 2011

Recipe: Chicken Makhani (sort-of)

Let me start by saying "THIS MIGHT BE MY FAVORITE THING I'VE EVER MADE". It's only fair to say, considering I said it about 25 times last night while eating. I actually said to my dear, sweet husband "I don't even care if you like it, I will eat your's too, because I. LOVE. IT."

I was introduced this week by Andrea to a new blog : Budget Bytes. The writer, Beth, is on a mission to prove that everyone can cook, and they can do it inexpensively and deliciously. God Bless Her! Her "Not Butter Chicken" recipe inspired my "Chicken Makhani Sort Of", an Indian dish which I probably never would've attempted without Beth's post. Also, she forced me to invest the $6 for Garam Masala and MAN! is it worth it.

Ben says it reminds him of something cozy to eat on a cold day (AKA Comfort Food) but I will not be able to wait for cold weather to make this again.

Ingredients

  • 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, fat trimmed and cut into large chunks
  • 3 tbsp butter or margarine
  • Garlic powder
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • Ground ginger
  • GARAM MASALA (this stuff will change your life)
  • Ground cayenne pepper
  • 15 oz tomato sauce
  • 2 tomatoes, diced
  • 1/2 cup plain fat free yogurt (PLAIN, not vanilla)
  • Boil-in-Bag Jasmine rice ('cuz I'm a cheater)

Before you go any further, you should notice there are no measurements on the spices. That's because this recipe is really about your tastes. I kept throwing more spices in, so I'll give guidelines but you really should keep tasting the sauce to get it to where you like it!

  • Heat butter on medium high in a large sauce pan or pot
  • Brown chicken in melted butter, Remove from pan and reduce heat to medium
  • Add onion, garlic powder (1 tsp), ginger (1/2 tsp); stir and let cook for 2 minutes
  • Add garam masala (1 tbsp), cayenne pepper (1/2 tsp)
  • Cook until onion becomes clear; Add tomato sauce and tomatoes and stir thoroughly
  • Add chicken back in, cover, and reduce heat and let simmer for up to an hour


  • Cook rice according to directions on box - Seriously, I don't eff with rice
  • Just before serving, mix in yogurt with chicken mixture and stir well
  • Serve chicken & sauce over rice and eat your face off 

No comments:

Post a Comment