Another Andrea Shipman-inspired recipe, courtesy of Budget Bytes. It couldn't be an easier recipe - seriously, no prep whatsoever. And the ingredients are probably all things you have in your fridge already!
- 1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (mine were frozen!)
- 8 oz frozen corn (if you like corn, you can use the whole 16 oz bag)
- 1 can black beans, drained (again, if you like black beans, use two cans)
- 1 jar salsa (I only had a half jar, so I supplemented with a can of Rotel tomatoes & chiles)
- 1 tbsp each: chili powder, cumin, garlic powder (hint: buy the cumin in a large jar from the ethnic section for major savings. it's one of my favorite spices)
- 1/4 tsp each: oregano, cayenne pepper, salt & pepper
- Rice (as you may know, I use boil-in-bag)
- Optional: Shredded Cheddar, Fat Free Sour Cream, Fresh Cilantro - I used dried because I didn't have any fresh cilantro!
- Place everything in a crockpot (except rice, cheese, sour cream, cilantro)
- Set on high for 8 hrs
- 10 minutes before it's finished, cook rice to directions on bag
- Use spoon or fork to shred chicken in crockpot (should be very easy to shred)
- Top rice with chicken mixture, cheese, sour cream and cilantro
You can also use the leftovers (this recipe makes a lot!) as tacos - just fill a flour tortilla instead of topping the rice. Lunches for a week, you're welcome.