Sunday, March 9, 2014

Beef with Broccoli

So, we bought a cow. Well, only a portion, but even a portion of a cow is a lot of freakin' beef. And for someone who didn't do a whole lot of cooking with red meat previously, it's been really eye-opening. I have no idea what to do with a lot of the cuts, and I used to cook chicken 90% of the time. But it's pushed me out of my comfort zone and some of the results have been great, including tonight's attempt at beef & broccoli. 

Recipe inspiration from:
http://rainydaygal.com/2011/02/03/beef-with-broccoli/

Ingredients
1.5lbs beef cube steak (the recipe called for flank steak but I think cube worked fine if that's what you have)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp corn starch
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce (I ised regular because that's what I had; it was very salty but still good!)
1 tbsp water
2 tbsp canola oil

1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp flour
1 tbsp red wine
4 cloves of garlic, minced
3 tbsp canola oil, separated into 2 tbsp and 1 tbsp
Half a bag of frozen broccoli

Directions
Whisk marinade ingredients together
Cover steak with marinade in a medium bowl
Cover & refrigerate for at least an hour ( I let it marinade for 4-5hrs since I was using a less tender cut)

When ready to prepare:
Heat 2 tbsp oil on med-high heat
Sauté broccoli until cooked through and tender (about 3-5min); remove from pan
Meanwhile, whisk together soy sauce, brown sugar, flour, red wine and garlic in a small bowl
Heat 1 tbsp oil on med heat
Add marinaded beef to pan
Cover with half soy sauce mixture
Cook until beef is no longer pink
Add broccoli and remaining sauce; sauté for one more minute, stirring frequently
Serve with white rice






No comments:

Post a Comment