Thursday, October 20, 2011

Recipe: Kelly's Black Bean Burgers


My best friend Kelly is an awesome *and healthy* cook. When I visit her in Greenville, SC she spoils me with deliciousness and it's so lovely to be cooked for, for a change! Several months ago she made black bean burgers for dinner when I arrived and they. were. amazing! I love black bean burgers already (a discovery I made when I gave up meat for Lent a few years ago), but these have a spicy kick to them that makes them even more delicious. And easy!!

Ingredients
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 1/2 jalapeno, seeded & diced (I used a couple slices from a jar, but fresh is better)
  • 1 garlic glove, minced (I used three!)
  • 2 14oz cans black beans, rinsed & drained
  • 1/3 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (I'd cut back to 1/3 tsp)
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder (I'd also cut this back to 1/3 tsp - mine were just a tad spicy)
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro (I used dried cilantro, 1-2 tbsp)
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/3 cup bread crumbs
  • 4 hamburger buns

Directions

  1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in large saute pan over medium heat
  2. Add onions and cook, taking care not to brown them, until soft, fragrant and translucent (about 8 minutes)
  3. Stir in garlic and jalapeno, saute for 2 minutes
  4. Meanwhile, pour beans, bread crumbs, spices and cilantro into large mixing bowl
  5. Add onion, garlic, jalapeno mixture
  6. Using your hands, mash and crush the beans until paste-like
  7. Form mixture into 4 patties (this makes for HUGE burgers. you may be able to get away with 5 patties)
  8. Heat 3 tbsp oil in same saute pan over medium-high heat until simmering
  9. Cook burgers until outsides are crisp and slightly browned, turning once (about 4-5 minutes on each side)
  10. Serve on hamburger buns (I topped with guacamole & provolone cheese)

No comments:

Post a Comment