Monday, October 3, 2011

Recipe: Chicken Enchilada Soup

Happy Monday, bloggies! I'm up to 10 followers, though I think 1 of those is a duplicate but I'll take it anyway, and I think that warrants a celebration! Pathetic, I know, don't care.

Anyway, a few weeks ago, I discovered pinterest. And y'all?

I LOVE IT.

I know, this was news to you guys like 2 years ago, but bear with me. One of my favorite boards is the one I've titled "Foodie <3". I will never be the girl who can make food look like it jumped out of an issue of Real Simple, but I can make it taste good. I'm not the perfectly sliced meat, garnish on the white plate, clean counter kind of cook. I'm the hearty, down-home, casseroles and crockpots and lots of cheese kinda cook. And that is exactly the kind of cook I want to be.

Now, from this lovely board, I found this recipe and as per usual, made it my own.

Ingredients

  • 2 frozen chicken breasts
  • 1 can enchilada sauce
  • 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can rotel tomatoes (diced tomatoes + chiles)
  • 2 cups frozen corn
  • 1 can chicken broth
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 6 slices of jalapeno peppers (I buy mine in a jar)
  • 6 oz cubed velveeta cheese
  • 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
  • Tortilla chips or strips
  • Sour cream (optional)

Directions

  1. Dump everything (except cheese, chips & sour cream) in the crockpot
  2. Turn it on high for 4-6 hours
  3. Break apart the chicken (should shred easily) with a spoon or fork once it's cooked
  4. Add cheeses and some tortilla chips and let melt / dissolve for about 30 minutes
  5. Spoon into a giant bowl, top with some tortilla chips and a dollop of sour cream
  6. Hibernate

1 comment:

  1. well I am sure my insane tagging on FB over this recipe will help more people read your blog :) haha

    ReplyDelete