Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Recipe: Baked Mac & Cheese

My cousins, Sandradee & Justin, got us The Joy of Cooking as a wedding gift and it is by far one of my most used gifts. I have a number of go-to recipes (Chicken Parmesan is one of my favs) but I get great enjoyment out of using an actual printed cookbook rather than just constantly checking an app. Tonight, we were rushed for time, so I picked a quick baked mac & cheese recipe and made a few slight modifications, per usual.


  • 2 cups elbow macaroni
  • 2.5 cups white sauce (I used a jar of alfredo, rather than using their recipe to home-make it)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2.5 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • Paprika
  • Salt & Pepper
  • 1/4 cup bread crumbs
  • Bay leaf

Additional ingredients I used:

  • Ground mustard
  • Sliced pepperjack cheese 
Preheat oven to 350
Cook the macaroni normally & drain
Meanwhile, simmer white sauce, onion, ground mustard & paprika (1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon each), salt & pepper to taste, bay leaf for 15 minutes
Remove bay leaf
Remove sauce from heat, add half shredded cheese and stir until melted
Mix sauce & pasta in a bowl
Place half sauce / pasta mixture in a greased baking dish, layer with pepperjack cheese
Place remaining sauce / pasta mixture over pepperjack, top with remaining shredded cheese and bread crumbs
Bake :30 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment