Tuesday, June 26, 2012

40 weeks: we made it!

This post requires a bit of a disclaimer. I started writing it the morning of my due date, with the intention of finishing it that afternoon after our doctor's appointment. The Lord had other plans for our sweet girl, which you'll hear all about in my birth story ... whenever that post comes. So, take this with a grain of salt, I'm trying to complete it now based on where I was a week ago today.


And if I'm being honest, it's been the most amazing week and has changed me in a way I never imagined.

Ok, we made it to the due date. Let's be honest, the due date means nothing. It's a guess, as I mentioned in my last post. I've read that only 5% of babies are born on their due date (Dr. Campbell said it was closer to 2%) and that 10% of first-time pregnancies continue until 42 weeks. Even though I am SO ready to meet this sweet little babe, I actually feel really fortunate to be treated by a practice that won't induce before 41 weeks. As much as being pregnant kind-of sucks right now, an induction turned c-section would be worse, so I'm counting my blessings. Ask me if I still feel that way in a week ;)

How are things at 40 weeks?
  1. How far along? 40 weeks exactly! According to my estimated due date, anyway. Which, I should mention, changed three times in the first 9 weeks of my pregnancy, so who knows!
  2. How big is baby? Still the size of a watermelon! 
  3. Weight gain? I've stopped weighing myself for the past two weeks and it's a blessing, I tell ya. Eating what I want and knowing that this weight will start dropping soon enough. No sense in stressing over something so trivial at this point.
  4. Stretch marks? I will say it one last time, praise the Lord none.
  5. Maternity clothes? Trying to give all my maternity clothes one last wear!
  6. Sleep? What a joke. Because she is starting to drop, I'm having to pee 4-5 times a night, so even sleep-aids aren't helping.
  7. Best moment of last week? Ben & I spent the weekend attempting some natural induction methods, but it was actually so nice because I've given up trying to control things and enjoyed just spending the time doing whatever the two of us wanted. I woke up Saturday morning to get acupuncture done (not as relaxing as I thought it would be), did some shopping, we met a friend at the flea market, walked around the mall, had a delicious dinner with friends, went to church - it was really nice. 
  8. Food cravings? Cheesesteaks - I was dying for one on Saturday and almost didn't indulge, due to our quest to induce labor with spicy foods, but I finally gave in and split one with Ben mid-afternoon while we were walking around the mall (still in an attempt to induce labor). It was delightful!
  9. Symptoms? I feel like a zombie. My mind is so cloudy from lack of sleep / concentration on baby. The symptoms that bother me the most continue to be rib pain (mostly on the left side of my back) and pubic pain. And the heartburn somehow appears to be getting worse. Oh, and the burning / internal bruise feeling in the middle of my stomach hasn't gone away at all.
  10. Exercise? Walking and walking and more walking. If I make it to Wednesday, I'm going to try to go to yoga - if they have it. This class has been causing me a lot of anxiety!
  11. Movement? Still pretty regular, which I'm told means she's not ready to come yet. Ben played some music for her on Sunday and she apparently really loves (or really hates?) Watch the Throne (Jay-Z and Kanye West). 
  12. Belly button? Um, ew. It's just so weird looking now. It keeps getting worse.
  13. What I miss? I don't know if there's a point to this one anymore. I did have a half a beer the other night - terrible mother, I know.
  14. Labor symptoms? A few sporadic pains that I'm told are contractions. Not much else, other than the pain / pressure in my pelvis / hips from baby dropping - hooray!
  15. What I'm looking forward to? Having a baby? Yeah, that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment