Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Recipe: Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu

This recipe has been sitting in my Pinterest for awhile, and when I finally clicked through last night, it took me to one of my favorite food blogs. This chick is awesome, and I've gotten many good recipes passed along from her site.

I have to say, I was less than thrilled with a few aspects of this recipe. Mostly the sauce - it's labor-intensive enough that it should be awesome and it wasn't. I could've honestly done without it, and just warmed a mix of worchestershire sauce / dijon mustard in a saucepan for a little flavor (because the chicken itself is kind-of bland).

However, it IS a very easy alternative to normal chicken cordon bleu (having made that before in another life) and you could probably mix it up with lots of different toppings for the chicken if you want to alter the recipe.

Ingredients

  • Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (half as many as servings you want; I was just cooking for me and Ben so I cut up one large breast to make two servings)
  • Two slices of Deli Ham per serving (again, I was making two servings, so I used 4 slices of ham)
  • Two slices of Swiss Cheese per serving (for me, 4 slices of swiss cheese. actually, it was two slices of swiss and two slices of provolone because ben doesn't like swiss cheese - weirdo)
  • 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
  • 1 tbsp melted butter
  • Equal parts Worchestershire Sauce and Dijon Mustard (should only need a couple tbsp of each)
  • Salt & Pepper to taste


Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. Lightly grease glass baking dish (I used a square one for our two breasts and it was perfect!)
  3. Slice chicken breasts length-wise to create two thin breasts
  4. Place breasts in baking dish and top with ham, then cheese, making sure each breast is completely covered (this will help keep the chicken moist!)
  5. Mix breadcrumbs & melted butter (should be crumbly; if it's too "wet", add more breadcrumbs) and sprinkle on top of cheese
  6. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through, breadcrumbs are brown and cheese is bubbly (for two breasts, 30 minutes should be plenty)
  7. When chicken is almost finished cooking, mix Worchestershire, Dijon, S&P in a small saucepan over medium heat
  8. Serve sauce on side of chicken


This is a less-than-appetizing picture ... too beige.
But it doesn't taste as "blah" as it looks, promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment