Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Recipe: Zuppa Toscana

I'm just gonna stop telling y'all that I got a recipe from Pinterest and let you assume that's where all my foodie inspiration comes from (hint: it does!).

This is an uncharacteristically involved crock-pot recipe, for me, as most of my selections are of the "dump-and-go" variety. However, I will say that it does make me feel better not to throw raw sausage in the pot.

This is supposed to be like Olive Garden's soup. Not sure how similar it actually is (or at least, how similar mine was), but it's good nonetheless, and hearty as all get out.
Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil (or vegetable oil, whatever you have)
  • 1 lb. ground sausage (I used mild, but I bet hot sausage would be yummy, too!)
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 3-4 cloves minced garlic (3-4 cloves)
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • pinch of red pepper flakes (to taste)
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • pinch of salt (to taste)
  • 4 cups chicken stock or broth - low sodium if you can find it
  • 1 chicken bouillon cube
  • 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into one-inch chunks
  • 1/2 bunch kale, washed, de-stemmed, slivered
  • 1 cup cream
  • scant cup of instant mashed potato flakes (optional - I didn't use these in mine)
Directions
  1. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat olive oil.
  2. Brown sausage & diced onions until almost cooked through
  3. Add minced garlic and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes
  4. Add all of the spices / seasonings and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes
  5. Move sausage mixture from skillet to crockpot
  6. Add chicken broth, bouillon cube and cubed potatoes
  7. Cook on low for 4-5 hours (I did low for 8 hrs, because I don't have a crock-pot with a timer)
  8. Add chopped kale & heavy cream (and potatoes, if you wish)
  9. Cook on low for 1 additional hour
*Optional: top with parmesan cheese. Because what doesn't taste better with a little cheese?

1 comment: