Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Recipe: Not-Really-Beef Enchiladas

I debated about posting this recipe, because I wasn't crazy about it. However, husband's raves outweighed my hesitation so here it is. Ben said it was one of his favorite dishes that I've ever made - I was shocked, but who am I to argue with a hungry husband? I got the recipe from Recipe Girl, via Pinterest. My biggest suggestion would be to use a bit more seasoning in the ground turkey!


Ingredients

  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 lb ground turkey
    (y'all know I don't cook with ground beef, but if that's what you're into... go ahead. have fun draining all that grease)
  • 1.5 cup diced onion
    (I used half a large white onion)
  • 1.5 cups finely diced zucchini (I hate zucchini but you could use green pepper here)
  • 8-12 tortillas
    (I used 8 flour tortillas but the small corn ones would work too, just have 12)
  • 2.5 cups enchilada sauce
    (I've made it from scratch before - not worth it)
  • 3 cups cheddar-jack shredded cheese
  • Desired garnish (shredded lettuce, avocado or guacamole, cilantro, sour cream, etc)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Spray 9x13 pan with cooking spray (I used two smaller pans so I could freeze one - gotta prepare for baby, y'all)
  3. Heat oil in a large skillet. Add turkey, breaking apart while it browns to crumble the meat. Saute on medium heat until almost cooked through (about 5 minutes)
    Ground turkey = no grease to drain
    Hooray!
  4. Add 1 tbsp cumin, salt & pepper to taste, and diced onions to meat and continue to cook until the onions begin to soften (about 3 minutes)
  5. Add 1/2 cup sauce to the glass pan, spreading around to coat the bottom
  6. Spoon 1/3 cup meat mixture down the middle of the tortilla, topping with 2 tbsp cheese and 1 tbsp enchilada sauce
    Yes, that's an O'Doul's in the background
    Sometimes mama needs a beer! 
  7. Wrap tortilla tightly around the filling, placing it seam-side down in the pan. Repeat with remaining tortillas, placing side-by-side tightly in pan(s)
  8. Top with half remaining cheese and all of remaining enchilada sauce
    I used one small rectangular pan and an 8x8 square pan
  9. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes
  10. Remove foil. Top with remaining cheese and return to oven until cheese is melted (about 5 minutes)

No comments:

Post a Comment